Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: Refused
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee considered an application at Land rear of 127 – 139 Ruden Way in Epsom Downs for the demolition of nos 129 and 131 Ruden Way and the erection of 6 new detached dwellings with access from Ruden Way together with car parking and landscaping.
Mr John Sharp, a local resident, spoke in objection to the application on the grounds that the development would cause unacceptable harm:
1. To the character of the area due to the ‘car-dominated’ frontage resulting from the location of the parking spaces; and
2. To the amenity of local residents on the basis that the highways infrastructure was at capacity resulting from the cumulative impact of development in the area and therefore insufficient to support future residents of the proposed development.
Mr Colin Smith, the agent on behalf of the applicant, spoke in support of the application on the grounds that:
1. There was no objection from the highways authority; and
2. The design, appearance, bulk and scale of the proposed development had been revised in consultation with planning officers to reflect the character and amenity of the area and to achieve suitable spacing in accordance with the Council’s Local Plan.
The Committee discussed parking provision, the design of the access road into the site, waste collection, traffic, mitigation of construction noise, the potential impact on local wildlife, and the character and amenity of the area.
Reasons for refusal were proposed and seconded, and upon a vote it was RESOLVED that planning permission be REFUSED on the grounds that:
1. The proposed development, due to the limited spacing between dwellings and the site boundaries would appear cramped within the site and out of keeping with the pattern of development in the locality. When combined with the car dominated frontages resulting from the tandem parking spaces, this would be significantly harmful to the character of the area, contrary to policies Ho9, Ho13 and Ho14 of the Reigate and Banstead Borough local Plan 2005, Policy CS4 of the Core Strategy 2014 and guidance contained within the Local Distinctiveness Design guide SPG 2004.
Wards Affected: Nork;
Report author: Hollie Marshall
Publication date: 28/01/2019
Date of decision: 23/01/2019
Decided at meeting: 23/01/2019 - Planning Committee