Venue: New Council Chamber - Town Hall, Reigate. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services (01737 276182) Email: Democratic@reigate-banstead.gov.uk
Apologies for absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies were received from Councillor A. Lynch who had been listed on the published agenda as the Chairman of the Sub Committee.
It was noted that Councillor F. Kelly had therefore been appointed as a replacement Member of the Sub Committee and had been appointed Chairman.
Declarations of interest
To receive any declarations of interest.
There were no declarations of interest.
To note the attached procedure note which will be followed by the Licensing & Regulatory Sub-Committee, at the discretion of the Chairman, when considering the application at agenda item 4.
RESOLVED to note the procedure note to be followed at the discretion of the Chairman.
To consider objections from Surrey Police and Environmental Protection to the notice.
In attendance and speaking at the hearing:
Premises User Mr Tayo Owen Aderibigbe
Responsible Authority Mr Ian Sandwell, Surrey Police
Ms Laura Webb, Environmental Health Team Leader
The Sub Committee was requested to determine an application for a Temporary Event Notice for sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment at Five Gables, Netherne Lane, Merstham RH1 3AS.
Full details of the Temporary Event Notice and representations received were as set out in the report. The Sub Committee also received an additional paper provided by the Premises User. This provided a screenshot of ticket sales from the pool party held in September 2018 and a draft agreement framework that Mr Aderibigbe had prepared to demonstrate his commitment to respond to the issues identified in the representations (submitted after the publication of the agenda for this meeting).
The Chairman invited the Licensing Officer to present the report.
The Licensing Officer advised that the Temporary Event Notice was for a twelve hour event to be held between 3pm, 25 May and 3am, 26 May 2019 catering for up to 490 people at Five Gables, Netherne Lane, Merstham.
The Council had received representations from the Police and Environmental Protection in relation to the licensing objectives.
It was noted that it was not possible to add conditions to a Temporary Event Notice as there was no licence to which conditions could be added. The options open to the Sub Committee were to allow the notice or reject it by way of a Counter notice.
Following the Licensing Officer’s introduction, the Chairman invited Mr Sandwell, Surrey Police to present his objections to the Temporary Event Notice on behalf of Surrey Police, during which the following points were noted.
· A previous event had taken place on 1 September 2018. The Police did not object to that event based on assurances that had been made about the ways in which the licensing objectives would be adhered to.
· Subsequently the Police received a complaint from a resident in the area, a copy of which was provided to the Sub Committee and made reference to:
· Concern about access to the road;
· Parking across resident’s drives;
· Driving across resident’s front greens;
· Finding nitrous oxide canisters litter after the event.
· As a result the Police were not confident that the licensing objectives had been met and were concerned about the proposed event for May 2019 with the potential of residents being subjected to similar issues.
· Although the September event had been listed as a private one the Police had been aware of notices displayed on lampposts advertising the event in the local area together with an advert promoting the event on the website.
· As a result the Police objected on the basis of local resident’s complaints and that the assurances provided for the September 2018 event had not been adhered to suggesting that the impact on the local neighbourhood outweighed what would be reasonable in support of the licensing objectives.
The Chairman thanked Mr Sandwell for his ... view the full minutes text for item 9.
To note and confirm the following applications determined through mediation and without the need for a hearing.
a) Application ref: 18/08341/LAPREM for a new premises licence: Kingswood Golf and Country Club, Sandy Lane, Kingswood, Surrey KT20 6NE.
b) Application ref: 18/08159/LAPREM for a new premises licence: Merstham Football and Social Club Ltd., Weldon Way, Merstham Surrey RH1 3QB.
c) Application ref: 19/00707/LAPREM for a new premises licence: Pistols Kitchen, 18 Walton Street, Walton on the Hill, Surrey KT20 7RT.
d) Application ref: 19/01272/LAPREM for a new premises licence: Pizza project, 2 High Street, Merstham, Redhill Surrey RH1 3EA.
A copy of the conditions agreed through mediation, in respect of each application, is attached as Annex 1.
RESOLVED, that the following applications determined through mediation be NOTED AND APPROVED:
(a) Application ref: 18/08341/LAPREM for a new premises licence at Kingswood Golf and Country Club, Sandy Lane, Kingswood, Surrey KT20 6NE
(b) Application ref: 18/08159/LAPREM for a new premises licence Merstham Football and Social Club Ltd., Weldon Way, Merstham Surrey RH1 3QB
(c) Application ref: 19/00707/LAPREM for a new premises licence Pistols Kitchen, 18 Walton Street, Walton on the Hill, Surrey KT20 7RT
(d) Application ref: 19/01272/LAPREM for a new premises licence Pizza project, 2 High Street, Merstham, Redhill Surrey RH1 3EA.